Monday, February 4, 2008

Happy Voting Day - some musings

As a feminist legal theory alum, it has been interesting observing the primary races and the rhetoric involved in the campaigns and media. I hope today and November brings a record number of women and young people to polls. I also hope as feminists we will call out sexism and racism when we see it.

Various aspects of the Democratic primary race have troubled me. I can't remember if these editorials/blogs have already been posted here, but I think these two authors sum up my thoughts pretty well:

All You Need is Hate
Stanley Fish, NY Times
http://fish.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/all-you-need-is-hate/index.html

Goodbye to All That (#2)
Robin Morgan
http://www.womensmediacenter.com/ex/020108.html
*I found this blog particularly interesting. While Morgan is not my favorite theorist, I think she makes some good points here.

Finally, I recommend the book Madam President-Women Blazing the Leadership Trail by Eleanor Clift and Tom Brazaitis. I believe the last edition was published in 2003.

Today let's honor all those who fought so hard to give women the right to vote. Happy Voting.

No comments: